Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Items Lost During a Move?

When it comes to safeguarding your possessions during a move, homeowners insurance and moving insurance are two distinct things. Homeowners insurance may cover the theft of your moving vehicle or storage unit, but it typically won't cover damage or theft of your personal items while they are being handled by moving professionals. Kara McGinley, a senior editor and licensed home insurance expert at Policygenius, explains that theft is a hazard covered by home insurance policies, so your belongings may be covered if they are stolen from a moving truck. However, if the damage was caused by a covered risk, you may be able to get coverage from your insurer. If you choose to move yourself, you won't have the advantages of coverage from a moving company if your belongings are damaged or broken.

It would be wise to use insurance from your moving company whenever possible. If you rent a moving truck, the truck rental company may have insurance included in their rates or additional coverage options for greater protection. Carefully review the moving company's insurance policy to make sure you understand how much coverage is available. Homeowners insurance and moving insurance differ in terms of cost for your belongings. Homeowners insurance generally doesn't cover breakages or damage to your personal items while being managed by moving professionals.

However, if the damage was caused by a covered risk, you may be able to obtain coverage from your insurer. Thoroughly examine the moving company's insurance policy to ensure that you understand the coverage available.

Geoffrey Dilworth
Geoffrey Dilworth

Infuriatingly humble introvert. Proud tv trailblazer. Amateur bacon advocate. Wannabe web fan. Friendly social media aficionado.