What is the Difference Between Moving Insurance and Regular Home Insurance?

Moving insurance is a type of policy that provides protection for items that are damaged while being transported. It covers loss or damage to your belongings during a move, and can range from fires or floods to a moving company accidentally dropping your new 70-inch television. Unlike valuation, it does not set limits on liability for damaged items and covers things such as natural disasters. It is usually offered by a third party and can cover any damage or loss of your goods during the move. Regular insurance, on the other hand, is a type of home insurance policy that covers personal property and will reimburse you between 50 and 70% of the value of your belongings if they are damaged in a disaster.

However, many home insurance policies don't cover assets that are in transit. Appraisal coverage is the amount of liability that your moving company is willing to accept if your belongings are damaged or lost during the move. A home inventory is a way to help make decisions about home insurance coverage or renters insurance & to accelerate the process of insurance claims in the event of theft, damage, or loss. Full protection allows the moving company two options in the event of loss, destruction or damage to any item during the move. If you only have coverage through your moving truck, anything stolen from your own car will have to go through your car insurance. If you have a lot at stake, you might want to take out independent relocation insurance with a third party.

This will complement the coverage required by the moving company and will also cover items that you move yourself. But remember that moving companies aren't allowed to sell insurance on their own, so you'll have to get it from a third party.

Geoffrey Dilworth
Geoffrey Dilworth

Infuriatingly humble introvert. Proud tv trailblazer. Amateur bacon advocate. Wannabe web fan. Friendly social media aficionado.